[AZ-Observing] Re: Antennas

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:40:59 GMT

Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244 It's been frustrating observing down in SoAZ, too. It has
been _looking_ clear since last Thursday (after the hail, snow and rain we
received), but the Milky Way hasn't had its usual "punch". It's been humid and
the temps have been in the low 40s, near the dew point, so it hasn't been too
uncomfortable for observing though after a while the eyepieces have been
fogging up to the point of irritation, which has been most of the reason for
terminating my observing sessions. I have been able to do some observing, but
objects in my 25-in look like they do in an 8-in or worse, not good for
galaxies, which need the contrast, but it's been okay for open clusters. I have
had some windows of opportunity to observe open clusters along the winter Milky
Way east of Orion through my 20x100 binoculars and have been treated to some
exquisite views - M41 and M47 in particular give a very nice apparently 3-D
appearance because of their mix of bright and faint stars. I enjoy the nice
wide field given by the binocs and the low power is sufficient to mostly
resolve the clusters but doesn't magnify them so much that they get lost in the
background. There are a number of nice NGC clusters along with a few other
Messier clusters, M46 and M93 are notable.
Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)