atw: Re: Great Mate vs Gr8 M8

  • From: pfagan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:19:42 +1000 (EST)

Brian A Clarke wrote:

"You may think you can send unabbreviated SMSs, but some ISPs will truncate
your sent message without advising you. You think your receiving end has
received all your transmitted message - but it hasn't. This leads to
frustration."

Brian there are character limits, but on a good interface like the one
Exetel offer, you can keep track of what they will send. When I have
typed:

Hi Brian thought I'd text ya dude

Counters below the text entry box read:

Characters used: 33.
Characters left: 579.

Exetel have a 612 character limit.

The IT consultant to my business has used and recommends net2mobile -
http://www.net2mobile.com.au/ - which has a similar character counting
mechanism but a lower limit of 160 char.

So it ain't that hard M8

From the Exetel FAQ:

How big is one SMS message?

One message is 160 characters in length.

What happens when I go over 160 characters?

The message shall still be sent through as one message but charges will be
multiplied by each 160 set of characters.

What is the maximum amount of messages that I can send?

The maximum amount of messages that can be sent is 4 with a maximum of 612
characters.

It is possible that a long message could get cropped by the receiving
telco. But in any case I would respectfully suggest that SMS was never
intended for  messages > 100 char - remember that SMS is an abbreviation
of Short Message Service.

Peter Fagan
IntraDoc Pty Ltd