atw: Re: Great Mate vs Gr8 M8

  • From: Caz.H <cazhart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:29:25 +1000

Your point of departure baffles me Peter, ie, can't pick up an axe with your
eye, etc.  The logic is lost on me.
The eye is a wonderful thing, but operates within the bounds of its
structure and intended purpose, ditto elbows, ears, etc.  You may as well
point out that you can't eat your rice bubbles using a dog as an eating
utensil.

Yes, many people "manage" without functioning thumbs, or limbs, eye sight,
hearing, etc.  Would you choose to?  Are you suggesting that the
compensatory skills are equivalent to those that have been lost?

Thumbs are remarkably useful.  I obviously appreciate the thumb more than
you do and don't wish to give mine up in any hurry.  You are less enthused.
So what?

Caz.H

On 4/15/08, Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Caz.H:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:15:20 +1000,  you wrote:
> > Try doing all of those things WITHOUT your thumbs.  Try doing MOST
> things=
> without your
> > thumbs.
> > Eg, morning ablutions:  brush teeth, wash with soap, go to toilet, tie=
> shoes, pull up
> > trousers, put on belt, pour rice bubbles & milk into bowl, eat rice=
> bubbles with spoon,
> > open front door (deadlock door), take train ticket out to validate at=
> station, and so
> > on, and so on.
> >

> Oh Caz, you old heartbreaker you...
>
> You tempt me, truly you tempt me, to suggest further things to try with
> your=
> thumb which are supposed to be impossible.
> But that would not be worthy. I won't go there.
>
> Yep, the uses of the thumb are multitudinous.  (Although many of things
> you=
> mention prove to be possible for hundreds and thousands of people who've=
> lost limbs -- often with the help of the brain, which is  limited as=
> something you can't brush your teeth with.)
>
> And the uses of the sexual organs are actually fairly limited, albeit
> hugely=
> important to the survival of the race.
>
> So there are limits with all these things. I can't pick up an axe with my=
> eye, or use a spoon with it, either.  Is the eye therefore not something
> of=
> major genetic advantage to the race ?  Is it not something of huge=
> advantage but limited in terms of what you can do with it ?
>
> This is not a case of thumb-discrimination on my part, I assure you !  =
> (DON'T, Micky !)
>
> At least we're not trolling through Michael's prose trying to solve the=
> deeper mysteries of the human race and / or psyche or whatever...
>
> --Peter M

> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Carolyn Hart