atw: Re: Buying a new laptop

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:57:42 +0800

We bought an iBook (budget Mac laptop) for my wife a couple
of months ago (~ $2,500).

The new UNIX-based OS seems very stable and the window
manager is good. The bundled software is excellent, though
it's really geared to home use (photos, music, videos, etc.)
not business.

My wife loves the iBook, but she uses it mainly home use
and only light business duties (MS Word & Excel).

Security: just think of a laptop as a plastic shopping bag with
$2,000 inside. If you'd be comfortable leaving a shopping bag
full of cash lying around somewhere, well -- you should feel
equally comfortable leaving your laptop unattended there.

Oh, and get a good sturdy backpack to carry it around. A laptop
case is a fashion statement, and the statement it's making is
"Steal me!" A backpack also says, "Steal me," but not as loud.

where you have to install the same applications your clients
use and transfer files all the time, I'd think twice about a Mac.
If you need to work with anything other than MS Office and
FrameMaker, what would you do?
---
Stuart Burnfield
Information Developer