atw: Re: Buying a new laptop

  • From: "Michael Granat" <mgranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:15:37 +1000

I hear you, Deborah (Cross).

Glad you enjoy yours, but...

There have been lots of recent medical examples of
people having severely burnt genitals from using
laptops atop their lap for extended periods.

So, when you're sitting on the couch this winter,
with your laptop, roasting one's nuts by an open fire
could take on a whole new dimension.

Plus, due to the often high (read unacceptable) levels of
Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) that laptops emit
(it's hard to build a decent Faraday Cage into a thin
plastic sandwich with heaps of output ports, they are
known to interfere with the control systems of
passenger jets.

As laptops present several OH&S hazards (including the
inability to properly position your body to the monitor
and keyboard (with docking stations and plug in external
monitors / keyboards / mice excepted)  I shall never
use one again, if I can possibly avoid it.

Safety first.  Anything else is irrelevant.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
Technical Communicator
Without Prejudice. E&OE. Private & Confidential.