[audacity4blind] Re: sliders in audacity

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:13:58 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Mohamed,
as Vitor has already said, in most of the effects included with Audacity,
there's normally an edit box you can use, rather than a slider.
In general the sliders don't play very well with screen readers. All that is
read back is a number between 0 and 100, rather than the value that's being
changed. So in the example you gave where you had to press right arrow a number
of times to change the slider value, in fact another number in the dialog is
changing each time you press right arrow, but the screen reader is not reading
this. These sliders are useful for sighted users, but not users of screen
readers.
One notable exception to this is in VST effects in text mode where there are
only sliders. In this case the real value of the setting being changed is
appended to the name of the slider so that it can be read by screen readers.

David.

On Thursday, 26 March 2015, 2:48, Mohamed <malhajamy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi guys, I have an audacity question.
I've often noticed that in NVDA, when I encounter a slider in audacity,
I often have to click the arrow keys several times just to move up by
one value. An example is in the percent change slider in the change
pitch or change speed dialog. The default is 49. So I use the right
arrow to move forward. The first time I do that, NVDA says nothing. The
second time, it says 50 as it should. In some other settings, you have
to press the right arrow even more times to move forward. What is the
reason for this?
Thaanks.