[audacity4blind] Re: sliders in audacity

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:10:31 +0000 (UTC)

We could append the text-box value to the value of the slider position
(0-100 %), either in the source code or the screen reader script.

I think it would be better to do things like this in Audacity, so that it
doesn't have to be done in each screen reader script. Do you think it's best to
have the screen reader read both the slider position (0-100%) and the real
value? I tend to think that might make it too verbose and/or confusing at least
in some cases, though if the 0-100% bit is absent then it's more difficult to
judge the range of adjustment. I think you'd have to use something like the
ASlider class to do this, I don't think you could do it with a wxWidgets slider.

> The examples which I gave use the ASlider class rather than a standard
> wxSlider. The volume sliders also use this class. This class allows the
> screen reader to read a value in any range, including floating point.
> Unfortunately the step sizes for the pan and gain sliders haven't been set
> up very well. I don't think that the ASlider class provides modifier key
> functionality for fine tuning, but maybe that could be added if required.

There's a Boolean variable for the light-weight sliders "canUseShift",
perhaps that's just for that.

I should have has a look at the code before replying to you (smile).

A more flexible approach is to expand the OnKeyEvent method in ASlider.CPP.

Which sliders in Audacity do you think need a very small increment for fine
tuning? Is the use of up/down arrow commonly used for small increments, if so
could you give examples of programs it's used in - I haven't come across it
myself.