[audacity4blind] Re: sliders in audacity

  • From: Robert Hänggi <aarjay.robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 08:15:53 +0100

> Hi Vitor,
> I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Hotspot Clicker.
> In fact there are a small number of sliders in Audacity which are more
> friendly to screen readers: for example the playback speed slider in the
> toolbars, and the sliders in the pan and gain dialogs.
> It may be possible to use more of these throughout Audacity in the future,
> which would be helpful to users of a number of screen readers, not just
> Jaws.
>
> David.

The nyquist sliders can presumably in near future better represent the
actual values, once the expanded WXWidget functionality is
implemented.

However, I don't think that the 3 sliders that David has mentioned are
the best reference:

1.  arrow key movement creates much too large steps (10 % at a time).
2. No fine tuning with modifier (shift) or up and down keys.
3. page up and down, the same (50 % at a time).

Note that the volume sliders (input/output) move one % with arrow keys
and 20 % with PgUp/PgDn.

The separate shortcuts for increasing/decreasing the respective values
are in contrast finer tuned:
Gain=1 dB (1.4 %), Pan=5 %, Play at speed=1 %

However, this needs 6 additional key assignments and one never knows
what the actual setting is, you have to open the dialog to see it.

In general, it wouldn't be a problem for any screen reader to announce
the slider value while pressing the arrow keys (depends on the effect
type).

Robert