[audacity4blind] Re: Sync-Lock WAS Re: Re: Track/project length, SyncLock and more

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 00:55:35 +0100

| From "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
| Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:17:27 +0200
| Subject: Sync-Lock WAS Re: Re: Track/project length, SyncLock and more
> Hi David!
> Assuming that my assumption and your understanding are correct, I agree
> that Sync-Lock Icon is too long. I'm still with Sync-Locked as a status
> indication for affected tracks.
> Goodness, and only this afternoon I thought what does it matter, two
> letters. :-) But it's good to sort these things out and arrive at a
> solution that will work fine for all of us. And what's more, is understood
> by all of us...
>
> Cheers, Robbie

@Steve, screen readers read the Track Control Panel for the track
that has focus. With David's patch, "Sync-Locked" is only read
when the track is selected (IsSyncLockSelected).

"Sync-Lock Icon" doesn't mean much, but is accurate . "Sync-Locked"
is fine, as long as people understand it really means no more than
"Sync-Lock Selected".

To give another example, suppose we have two syn-locked
groups (remember that label tracks separate different groups in
the current scheme):

Audio Track 1
Audio Track 2
Label Track 1
Audio Track 3
Audio Track 4 .

If for example you select some audio in Track 4 only, the Sync-Lock
icon is "on" in Audio Track 3 and Audio Track 4, indicating that if
you make a length change in either of those tracks, both will be
affected (but tracks above will not be affected).

That's fine, except there is a source of confusion if you move
the focus above track 3 - there is no icon for Audio Track 1,
Audio Track 2 or the Label Track, although they are part of a
Sync-Locked group too.

This distinction between the upper group and the lower group is
essential for VI users though (once they understand it), because
they can't see the "Sync-Lock selection" containing "clock" icons
in Audio Track 3 (which indicates that the selection in Audio Track 3
will be acted on as well as the actual selection in Audio Track 4).

So, on balance I'll concur that "Sync Locked" is probably better
than "Sync-Lock On" for VI users... as long as they don't get
confused by the icon appearing and disappearing, and
understand that the absence of the icon does not mean that the
track is not in a group. I still think we want "Sync-Locled" last,
though (after "Select On"  or "Not Selected").

Sighted users however probably need a better solution for the
Time Shift Tool scenario and for realising that all tracks are in a
group, selected or not.

Gale