Re: [artworks] Extra AW tools

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:54:00 +0100

In message <cf0df40450.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> <87be830450.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner  wrote:

>> Yes, the latter would be possible but would require a major new
>> feature in ArtWorks (alpha masking), which is one of the possible
>> options for the next major release. As mentioned earlier one of the
>> other options is a Shadow tool.

> Martin, as you are looking at the next major release I repeat my plea
> for improved nudging. I would like more control at macro and micro
> ends of the scale.

Fine, just make suggestions on what this should look like.

> Macro - AW is way too slow  - sometimes I want to move an object from
> one part of the screen to another using the arrow keys. At the moment
> it takes 30 seconds to move an object from side to side of an A4 page
> with an arrow key with the shift held down. It takes several minutes
> to do it without the shift key.

You can always use the Translate tool which allows you to use a much
larger distance per keypress, that is precisely what it is for. So,
you to set your nudge distance to cater for the micro level while the
Translate tool will cater for the macro level.

> At the micro level I would like to be able to move (nudge) an object
> precisely. At the moment this is not possible. If you are working at,
> say 1000- magnification with two objects you often cannot nudge one to
> coincide with the other.

First of all, you can configure any nudge size you want (subject to
the actual accuracy of the ArtWorks coordinate system but no other
system would get around that) so if it is not precise enough, choose a
smaller nudge size. However, I see the point that one fixed accuracy
will not cater for all zoom levels.

There is one useful feature in Xara that might be interesting: If you
hold down a certain modifier key then nudging always works in screen
pixels at the current scale factor. That would be fairly easy to add
to ArtWorks as well. If we distinguish between the left and right
Shift and Ctrl keys we would have two modifiers to play with, one for
pixel precise nudging and the other one maybe for a much larger nudge
distance.

> Nor is there an alternative way to specify a move to a precise
> location for any object unless it is a rectangle or ellipse.

What is wrong with the Move tool? It allows you to position any of the
9 reference points (top left, top middle, top right, middle left,
etc.) of any object precisely.

> Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a grumble, but it is a small
> frustration multiplied by several thousand hours of use since I bought
> Artworks in 1991. Shadows and bevels are sexy, but improvements to
> fundamental function should also be included in any release.

No problem with me as long as enough users will find the proposed
features interesting but I have the feeling that improved nudging will
not excite the masses.