Re: [artworks] Extra AW tools

  • From: rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:41:53 +0100

<5004fafdbbriscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery  wrote:

> Why would you want to use the arrow keys to do this when you can drag
> the object across and then use the arrow keys for fine positioning.
For very small objects eg text that  has been converted to shapes the
quickest way to select is with a bounding rectangle. The only secure
way to move a tiny selected object is via the arrow keys.
You must have experienced what happens when you attempt to drag a
selected object where the grab points overlap. Before you know have
pulled out a curve point by mistake and have to undo.

> The nudge size can be set to 0.1pixel or equivalent point size for very
> high accuracy - thin lines can be easily aligned using the arrow keys at
> this sensitivity by setting the size in Global...... Choices but I'm
> sure you are aware of this.

> Perhaps I have misunderstood the problem - if so I apologise.

>> At the micro level I would like to be able to move (nudge) an
>> object precisely. At the moment this is not possible. If you are
>> working at, say 1000- magnification with two objects you often
>> cannot nudge one to coincide with the other.

> Trust me - you can.
You are right! If I set my nudge size to .001 and magnification to
4000% it is possible to line two thin lines up so that they are
coincident.
However, the arrow movement speed is now down to 0.1 inches per second
- thats just under 4 minutes from side to side of my screen.

--
MUG RISC OS Christmas Show Saturday 6 December 2008 -
http://mug.riscos.org