Re: [artworks] Extra AW tools

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:58:30 +0000

Martin Wuerthner wrote:
In message <cf0df40450.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<87be830450.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner  wrote:

Martin, as you are looking at the next major release I repeat my plea
for improved nudging. I would like more control at macro and micro
ends of the scale.

Macro - AW is way too slow ...

You can always use the Translate tool which allows you to use a much larger distance per keypress, that is precisely what it is for.

First of all, you can configure any nudge size you want (subject to the actual accuracy of the ArtWorks coordinate system but no other system would get around that) ...

Nor is there an alternative way to specify a move to a precise
location for any object unless it is a rectangle or ellipse.

What is wrong with the Move tool? It allows you to position any of the 9 reference points (top left, top middle, top right, middle left, etc.) of any object precisely.

But how precisely? What are the accuracy limits of the AW coordinates system? The Mover tool shows coordinate settings to 1/100 mm, e.g. X=123.59mm. However, it would seem (to my eye) that the system allows you to change the position of an object in smaller increments - at least 1/1000 mm. However, if I enter X = 123.594mm, after pressing return this is displayed as 123.59, whereas X=123.596 is displayed as 123.60. If indeed you can move objects by distances smaller than 1/100mm, could a change be made in the next release of AW so that the *actual* values are displayed in the X and Y boxes (up to the accuracy limits of the system)?

Another thing on my wish list (admittedly because I'm used to Adobe Illustrator) would be an option to have the Mover Tool dialogue available at all times, in a separate small window which displayed not only the X and Y coordinates but also the Width and Height of the object ... without having to press the Mover Tool button each time. The Mover Tool (Transform in Illustrator) is by far the tool I use most frequently.
--
C.B.