Re: [artworks] Extra AW tools

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:16:55 +0000 (GMT)

In article <cf0df40450.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <87be830450.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Martin Wuerthner  wrote:

> > Yes, the latter would be possible but would require a major new
> > feature in ArtWorks (alpha masking), which is one of the possible
> > options for the next major release. As mentioned earlier one of
> > the other options is a Shadow tool.

> Martin, as you are looking at the next major release I repeat my
> plea for improved nudging. I would like more control at macro and
> micro ends of the scale.

> Macro - AW is way too slow  - sometimes I want to move an object
> from one part of the screen to another using the arrow keys. At
> the moment it takes 30 seconds to move an object from side to side
> of an A4 page with an arrow key with the shift held down. It takes
> several minutes to do it without the shift key.

Why would you want to use the arrow keys to do this when you can drag
the object across and then use the arrow keys for fine positioning.

The nudge size can be set to 0.1pixel or equivalent point size for very
high accuracy - thin lines can be easily aligned using the arrow keys at
this sensitivity by setting the size in Global...... Choices but I'm
sure you are aware of this.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the problem - if so I apologise.

> At the micro level I would like to be able to move (nudge) an
> object precisely. At the moment this is not possible. If you are
> working at, say 1000- magnification with two objects you often
> cannot nudge one to coincide with the other.

Trust me - you can.

> Nor is there an alternative way to specify a move to a precise
> location for any object unless it is a rectangle or ellipse.

You may well be correct - time permitting I'll do some checks.

Regards

Richard