Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini vs Iyonix

  • From: Bryan Hogan <armini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:11:00 +0100

In message <39c0cf9c52.tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have an Artworks 2 file that is approx 1.7MB (a world map circa
> 500BC), with just over 2000 objects. On my Iyonix, this takes
> about 2 seconds to render (document loaded, full screen, and
> zooming out, so it is strictly a test of the redraw rather than
> anything else).
>
> I copied it across to the ARMini, expecting it to take signicantly less
> than that, but it actually takes about 6 seconds, which is
> disappointing to say the least[1].

I can't think of any way that the ARMini would be slower than the
Iyonix, so we have to start looking at config differences:

- Same graphics resolution and number of colours

- Same version of ArtWorks on both

- Both on WYSIWYG setting 11 (anti-aliased)

- Do they both have input focus, as AW will render in the
background if it doesn't

- Do you have Geminus on the Iyonix? Maybe it is caching the window
so AW is not actually doing the redraw

Could you upload the file somewhere so others can try it out?

> Any idea what the holdup is likely to be? Poor memory bandwidth?
> Better graphics processing?

Definitely not those! It's the Iyonix that has the poor memory
bandwidth, particularly for graphics rendering because it needs to
write across the PCI bus to the graphics card. That is shown in
your other posting by it being slower than a RiscPC for Draw.

Bryan.
--
RISC OS User Group Of London  -  http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show           -  http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/