Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini vs Iyonix

  • From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:30:37 +0100

In message <13f1149e52.chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <b79aa59d52.tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/466?page=5
>
> > According to the benchmarks in this the table, we have:
>
> >            ARMini (1000MHz)  Iyonix (600MHz)
> > Draw Path       329%             90%
> > Draw Fill       364%             66%
>
> > where the reference is a StrongARM RiscPC. I'm not sure why the
> > Iyonix is so slow compared to a StrongARM, but apart from that the
> > figures would indicate that an ARMini should be 3-5 times faster
> > than an Iyonix, not 1/3rd as fast, which is what my test shows (all
> > the objects in the test document are paths, filled paths, or text
> > (which are in practice more filled paths).

> I have just repeated the tests and the results are still the same. I
> don't know why either. However a single test will not tell you how
> fast 'overall' another computer is. Only for tasks dominated by the
> particular test.

Indeed, I wasn't claiming that my test was indicative of the overall
difference in performance between an ARMini and an Iyonix. It's simply
that I was intending to redo the map from scratch using a Robinson
projection, and was hoping that the ARMini would make it easier.
Unfortunately, it won't.

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.