Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini vs Iyonix

  • From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:59:02 +0100

In message <alpine.NEB.2.00.1206092339570.12986@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       TynHau <tide@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012, Nick Roberts wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 12:13:03 +0100
> > From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini vs Iyonix
> >
> > In message <alpine.NEB.2.00.1206082216560.4171@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >       TynHau <tide@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 8 Jun 2012, Nick Roberts wrote:
> > <snip>

> > <snip>
> >
> > > What happens if you copy the file to your RAM drive (e.g.
> > > Memphis)?
> >
> > Wny would that make any difference? I thought I'd made it clear
> > that I wsn't timing how long it took to load, but how long it took
> > to redraw when it was already loaded.
> >
> > However...
> >
> > Tried the same experiment, and it took the same time as near as I
> > could measure it.
> >

> Sorry, misunderstood your question then. Slow rendering has been a
> known issue. Hardly a surprise, is it?
>
> http://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/OMAPVideo

I'm not sure how this is relevant. The only things on the "limitations"
list that touch on this is accelerated rectangle copy/fill operations,
and as there are no rectangles in my test file. I suppose clearing
prior to redraw counts, but is that going to be responsible by itself
for such a dramatic slowdown?

> http://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/5/topics/466?page=5

According to the benchmarks in this the table, we have:

           ARMini (1000MHz)  Iyonix (600MHz)
Draw Path       329%             90%
Draw Fill       364%             66%

where the reference is a StrongARM RiscPC. I'm not sure why the Iyonix
is so slow compared to a StrongARM, but apart from that the figures
would indicate that an ARMini should be 3-5 times faster than an
Iyonix, not 1/3rd as fast, which is what my test shows (all the objects
in the test document are paths, filled paths, or text (which are in practice
more filled paths).

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.