[argyllcms] Re: help with camera profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 11:18:26 +1000

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:
> While I also think that the scene (i.e. the studio lighting setup,
> background, etc.) can be
> organized almost glare-free, I have no idea how one could eliminate any glare
> originating _inside_
> the lens? [unless attaching the lens cap :-) => no light no glare]

Yes, you can't eliminate glare within the optics. One of the interesting things
about the human eye is that it has a large amount of internal glare, and
this is counteracted by the large degree of edge sharpening our visual
processing applies. It is also the reason that we model the overall perceptual
response of the eye with a power curve, even though the retina has a logarithmic
response. A good camera with a simple lens actually has less internal
glare than the human eye.