[argyllcms] Re: RGB Printer profiling and ColorSavvy CM2C

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:29:24 +0100

Hi,

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

Nevertheless, IMO targets generated by Argyll, especially if they have been created for a particular device ("targen -c profile.icm ..."), give higher overall characterization accuracy, with a lower number patches, than other targets with a fixed layout. IMO an Argyll generated target with 1500 CMYK patches outperforms e.g. the ECI target, which has approx. the same number of patches.

Now that's encouraging to hear...

My goal is only to have to do one pass though, because I want to be able to profile without having physical access to the printers. My goal, BTW, is "looks good", not "colorimetrically perfect" - the ad-hoc curve-based correction currently used in Gutenprint is very difficult to get right - especially for skin tones, hence my special interest in those colours...

You can add additional measurement manually to the .ti3 file - no problem. And you can obviously even increase the weight of particular

That's what I wanted to hear - I won't be wasting my time trying it out then...

measurements by adding them multiply to the .ti3 file. But at present there is no tool to assists this task.

And that's easily remedied!

   $ perl -e 'for $i (20..99) { print "$i 0 0\n" }' |
   xicclu -pl -ir -fif profile.icc |
   awk '{ print $8, $9, $10 }' |
   icclu -px -ir -ff profile.icc |
   awk '{ print ++i, 100*$1, 100*$2, 100*$3, 100*$8,100*$9,100*$10 }'

I can see that both perl and awk are tools I need to learn far more about; this kind of magic amazes me - I can read it, but not write it yet!

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson