[argyllcms] Re: RGB Printer profiling and ColorSavvy CM2C

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:31:43 +0100

Hi,

Graeme Gill wrote:

Well, actually I have an Epson R1800 sitting next to me,
but I've still got a long way to go before I try profiling
it, since I want to implement screening and linearisation
through a direct raster driver first ! (Lots of stuff about
USB to learn, as well as ESC/P, epson "weaving" etc. etc. :-)

As far as I know, Gutenprint supports this printer in 6-colour mode now (and for the record, I've successfully built it as a DLL on Win32 before now, with only very minor changes) - and Robert Krawitz has put a *lot* of effort into the channel splitting and n-colour generation in recent months - so there's useful reference code there if nothing else :)

BTW - the Scenarios page has -c0 -d0 in the example command line for generating RGB printer profiles; is this perhaps a misprint?

No, it's correct, but the key point is that the viewing condition matches the profile. If the source profile is a display profile, -c2, if the source profile is a printer profile, -c0. If the destination profile is a display profile, -d2, if the destination profile is a printer profile, -d0.

Ah - I think I get it now - the example scenario envisages the printer being used to print (in RGB) data that's already targeted to a CMYK device (SWOP coated, etc) - whereas I'm looking for at digital photography applications, involving direct screen->print RGB conversion.

I'm starting to see how limited the ICC format is, and why some people deprecate the perceptual intent.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson