[argyllcms] RGB Printer profiling and ColorSavvy CM2C

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:34:43 +0100

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Argyll and I'm trying to get my head round colour management in general.

I have a ColorSavvy CM2C colorimeter, which is a device that must be placed by hand over each patch to be measured. ColorSavvy have an SDK available on their website which make it very easy (using a DLL) to read XYZ values from a printed target.

My primary interest is in RGB printer profiles, and so far I've played with Profile Prism (using an Epson Perfection 640 scanner as a poor-man's colorimeter), Argyll (both with the above mentnioned scanner) and Colour Confidence Print Profiler (which came with my ColorMouse).

Prism does absolute wonders on matte paper, but seems to struggle a bit on glossy. It also generates non-free profiles, which is unfortunate.
Print Profiler's gamut-mapping strategy seems to be "preserve luminance at all costs", which leads to very washed out greens.
Argyll looks very promising, but I've obviously got to learn a lot to make best use of it!

Now we come to my questions:
Is there any special reason for the apparently random placement of the colour patches on the page? (It makes scanning the patches with the colormouse an "interesting" task, since with no software support, the XYZ values have to be added to the .ti3 file by hand...)

Does Argyll have to generate the target itself, or can the patches be "hand-picked" or augmented? I ask because in my experiments last night I got a remarkably good result with a mere 60 patches - much smoother than either Prism or Print Profiler.

What I'd like to do is use a sparse scattering of patches, and then augment this in the "difficult" areas, adding some extra patches down the grey axis and in typical skin tones.

Finally, with both Argyll and Print Profiler (and to a much lesser extent, Prism as well), images printed using the generated profile generally have very good hue and saturation, but need further gamma correction to get the luminance looking "right" - in terms of Gutenprint controls, Composite Gamma needs to be increased to 1.1 - 1.15 or so.
Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks in advance,
--
Alastair M. Robinson