[argyllcms] Re: RGB Printer profiling and ColorSavvy CM2C

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:26:18 +0100

Hi,

I've just created a profile using the -c3 and -d0 flags, and used sRGB instead of SWOP coated with the -S option, and the different is amazing.

This profile, generated with just 100 patches, 81 chosen by Argyll, a dozen extras near the grey axis and the rest in skin tones, is *way* ahead of the trial profile I generated using Colour Confidence Print Profiler using 300 patches.

At the moment my grey-axis patches are actually in a sort of "helix", with alternatively a hint of red, green and blue in each. I'm going to continue experimenting, and see whether this is significantly better than just picking points on the grey axis.

One reason for my interest in concentrating the profiling effort on a particular area is that with printers such as the Epson R800, which have non-standard CMY inks, and extra Red and Blue inks, achieving smooth takeover between the inks (with no hue shifts as luminance and saturation change) is *extremely* difficult - so with these printers there are likely to be parts of the gamut that are quite well-behaved, and others that are very much less so.

BTW - the Scenarios page has -c0 -d0 in the example command line for generating RGB printer profiles; is this perhaps a misprint?

Anyway, thanks once again to everyone who has helped me with this project. I'm off to try the same routine on some glossy paper that defeated Profile Prism!

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson