[argyllcms] Re: Do nothing Profile

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:56:11 -0700

On Jul 17, 2014, at 3:43 PM, Robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I can't imagine why Adobe has removed the No Color Management option.

This would be a good place to insert another "Adobe knows best" rant...but I
*think* you can probably do what you want by specifying the image profile as
the printer profile. That should result in a no-op conversion...but I could
also see it resulting in rounding errors if they actually do a bunch of
transforms to get back where they started, though the rounding errors might not
be visible in practice.

So, you might use Argyll to convert to your printer's profile and embed that
profile into the image. When printing, if you select the same profile for the
printer, unless Photoshop is *really* messed up, it *should* work. It should
(that word again) also work if the image is in ProPhoto and you tell Photoshop
that ProPhoto is your printer's profile.

...or, you can get a Canon imagePROGRAF printer and use Canon's Photoshop
plugin to send the data to the printer -- and, in so doing, you also send the
full 16-bit data to the printer.

Cheers,

b&