[argyllcms] Re: Contributed ccmx files

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:47:36 +1100

Dariusz Żurawski wrote:
It  is  exactly  what  I  was thinking about. :) But I'd like to use two icc
profiles  -  one  taken  from monitor's manufacturer and one created with my
Spyder.  Of  course  it  will  not  give good accuracy, but will be probably
better  than  no  correction at all. One thing I'm not sure of, is what is a
real difference between monitors of particular type, so I don't know whether
is   manufacturer's  profile  accurate  or  not.

I'm not sure that will work very well, because you will not be getting
measurements from the same display in the same condition. Another
potential problem is that ccmxmake expects absolute (that is, instrument)
readings, and there are known issues with display profiles, the ICC
standard, and recovering absolute instrument readings from display profiles.

If you wanted try try this, you could: 1) Create a set of test values using
targen (a small display test set would do). 2) Use fakeread to create
.ti3 files from the two profiles 3) Manually add tags for the TARGET_INSTRUMENT
and INSTRUMENT_TYPE_SPECTRAL YES/NO to the resulting .ti3 files :-
"TARGET_INSTRUMENT"
just needs to be set to the name of the instrument, and the reference
file should be labelled with "INSTRUMENT_TYPE_SPECTRAL YES" and the colorimeter
labelled with "INSTRUMENT_TYPE_SPECTRAL NO". 4) Feed them into ccmxmake -f.