[amayausers] Re: Trade Show FLOP!

  • From: Steve Griswold <stevegriswold@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 19:06:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Thanks.  I am also at the spa show with my wife.  It's our first show and with
only two weeks since we started the business it's still a good learning
experiece.

Since there are no people that have really come for a "Spa" show, the handful
of people that do want something, want a one off.  They also want this one off
on a hat they have, a jacket, a bags, etc.

  We are set up at the show to do monogrammed towels and nice tote bags and
have samples for people to choose from.  We are really targeting larger spas
and resorts and have lots of sample robes, towel, slippers, etc.  The spa items
require us to get a medium size order to make it worth while with digitizing a
logo, setup, shipping, etc.

My concerns with the one offs people want are:

1. It's not our item and we are new and I don't want to mess it up.
2. It's a bunch of effort to do one hat, one robe, one jacket.  They would have
to ship the item to us and we would have to ship it back since they don't have
the item with them at the show.  Some want a design, etc., that would need to
be digitized, or created in Design Shop to be close.  Most come up with a
business card and ask if they can get the exact logo on one shirt, and they
already have the one shirt.

  I just don't see the money in doing these one off items.  I think we would
have to charge a bunch by the time we pay to get it digitized, send the client
an email proof, setup the machine, ship the item, etc.  Maybe it could lead to
more work, but not sure if it is worth it.  Any thoughts?

It's difficult to figure out how to get medium size orders.  We were hoping
other vendors would want shirts, hats etc and spas would want 10-100 robes etc.
 But so far we are luck if a person walks up and asks to get the hat on their
head done with their name on the back.

  Any ideas on target markets for medium size orders?  Or is just keep getting
your name out by word of mouth over time the only way to grow?

Thanks,
  Steve

Atlanta GA
OnleeJudy@xxxxxxx wrote:
  Oh, that must be rotten...so few people.

To keep the machine running, make something for YOURSELF. The maid has the
dirty house, the cobbler's kids are barefoot, and the embroiderer doesn't
have anything embroidered. Do a shirt with lots of different animals of the
same theme...jungle, dogs, cats, butterflies, etc. Work on your Christmas
presents, make a baby blanket, quilt something, etc. That way even if no one
shows up you've still gotten some of YOUR things done, and make samples to hang
up for the next show.