[amayausers] Re: Amaya XT vs other machines, your thought

  • From: "Steve Cohen" <steve208321@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:32:50 -0400

I do not have an Amaya but I can comment on Melco's service since my father
has a Melco EMC machine built in 1992 and I have an EMT machine built in
2000. I have had to call them several times (and you will too no matter
which brand you pick, machines are not perfect.) I rarely wait on hold and
if I do, I leave a message for call back and they usually call back within
an hour or two. I have been impressed with thier service and they do not
charge a penny for phone support (even on my parents 14 year old machine.)
The tech in my area (Maryland) is very good (Hugo) and was even able to come
out on a Saturday for me since I work a full-time job. As far as the new XT
machine goes, several people here have them and have commented on how well
they like better over the 'old' Amayas. I did see it at the trade show last
month and was very impressed with it. If you plan on traveling with it, keep
in mind these machines are heavy (200+ lbs.) and it will take several people
to move it safely and you need a truck or trailer with a ramp to move it.
They do come on wheels which make it a little easier to move but pushing it
up a ramp by yourself won't happen very easily.

From: Steve Griswold <stevegriswold@xxxxxxxxx>
To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:44:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
We are still in the research phase for starting up our small business.  From
talking with others and reading some of the trade magazines, it looks like
Melco (Amaya XT), Tajima, and Baridan are the three machines in the running.

We plan on purchasing one or two single head machines within the next one to
three months.

  Amaya XT Pros:

  16 colors
  Back up Tread
laser trace
Auto Thread tension system
Small Arm
Speed

  Amaya Cons:

  1. (Big one) Rumors of service problems and poor support
  2. Auto Thread tension system worries me that is might not work
3. Plastic construction looks cheap
  4. New technology, Only been on the market since Jan.

My number one concern is that the machine(s) will go down and I'll be
waiting
two weeks for a service tech to show up, or the part will be back ordered.

  Any information on which machine and why would be great.

Information about us:

  Will be a home based business
Some travel to conventions with the machine(s) to get business leads
  New to the business
Familiar with PC's and Graphic Design like Adobe products

  Thanks,
Steve