[amayausers] Re: Amaya XT vs other machines, your thought

  • From: DLCompton@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 07:36:20 EDT

Steve,

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I purchased an Amaya in Sept. 2002; during its
first year. Coming from a home machine with a lot of computer savvy, I setup my

single head by myself and had it running the next day. At the time, training
was  extra so I opted out. They later added it without the additional charge
and I  finally went some 6 months later. Since delivery I've had a tech out 3
times and service was fast (next day or two). The last episode was last  August
and I was down with a big job to do. The call to Melco was quick! My  regular
tech (from the Napa area) couldn't come the next day so  another one did
(drove up from Fresno--I'm in the Sacramento, CA area). He had  me up and
running
in about 2 hours (mind you the part arrived before he  did). Amaya service is
very high on Melco's priority list!

As to the auto tensioning system, I just upgraded my OS to use this  feature.
I'm having a bit of a challenge but have not honestly worked with it  enough
to evaluate. You can always return to the manual material thickness (MT)
setting. I do like MT rather than tension--I had real several articles about
setting tension dials and I just did not want to have to keep that sort of
detail
with each design. MT is pretty easy to figure out and you can change it
while sewing or have it auto change with the color setting (as opposed to the
whole thing being automated).

Others have talked about plastic/metal parts. I do run most jobs at
1200spm--even caps. I use the WACF (Wide Angle Cap Frame) without any
difficulty. I
just did a cap order not too long ago of about 200 caps (not  Aaron's numbers
but I'm working on it).

As it is a computer peripheral, and as it sews great when properly  adjusted,
I usually take the attitude that when something is not working (thread
breaks, etc.) that it is operator error or a poorly digitized design (such as a

stock design). This allows me to figure out what I can adjust to get it working

properly rather than blame the machine.

As to software, I did not purchase any level of Design Shop. I decided that
I didn't have the time to learn digitizing (at the time I had 4 kids under
10).  I sub out all my digitizing. I do have embird for simple editing when
necessary.  I might buy some level when I get another machine (hopefully this
year).

If you have any other questions, give me a call or post. By the way, I too
am home-based and I have taken the machine to business expos (2 of us got it in
 my minivan--awkward but doable)--it's definitely draws a crowd.

Dorothy  Compton
Bee Embroidered
_www.BeeEmbroidered.com_ (http://www.beeembroidered.com/)
(916)  635-7467
Rancho Cordova, CA

In a message dated 4/7/2006 5:45:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
stevegriswold@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi,
We are still in the research phase for starting up our small  business.  From
talking with others and reading some of the trade  magazines, it looks like
Melco (Amaya XT), Tajima, and Baridan are the three  machines in the running.

We plan on purchasing one or two single head  machines within the next one to
three months.

Amaya XT Pros:

16 colors
Back  up Tread
laser trace
Auto Thread tension system
Small  Arm
Speed

Amaya Cons:

1. (Big  one) Rumors of service problems and poor support
2. Auto Thread  tension system worries me that is might not work
3. Plastic construction  looks cheap
4. New technology, Only been on the market since  Jan.

My number one concern is that the machine(s) will go down and I'll  be
waiting two weeks for a service tech to show up, or the part will be back
ordered.

Any information on which machine and why would  be great.

Information about us:

Will be a home based  business
Some travel to conventions with the machine(s) to get business  leads
New to the business
Familiar with PC's and Graphic Design  like Adobe products

Thanks,
Steve