[access-uk] Re: when is the new braille coming out as i have had some information

  • From: "Rays Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:13:11 +0100

I shall watch this thread with interest, seeing as I might be using Braille a bit more in future. I tend to side with Dave in this discussion, but I feel change shouldn't be as drastic as to mean substantial re-learning, thus alienating to an unnecessary degree long-term users.

In the days when I used Braille 'n' Speak I took to American Braille notation very easily, and still think of email addresses in terms of that, even though programs like Dolphin Cipher never seemed to like it.

Cheers,
Ray.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [access-uk] Re: when is the new braille coming out as i have had some information

Seriously, if you take that line, you could easily argue for abolishing
braille full stop. There are probably only about 10000 regular readers in
the country, so why cater for such a small minority? Clearly very few would
support that. If we want braille to be useful, it needs to be just that.
Most people who write in braille now use notetakers, and they don't
understand email addresses, and can't put them back in print. People have to
enter them in American Braille, or grade 0 as it is sometimes called, and
that is far more different than anything being proposed here.

Cheers
Dave