[access-uk] Re: when is the new braille coming out as i have had some information

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:19:16 +0100

Hi, I remember they tried to change braille in the 80s and I was dead
against all the proposals back then for exactly the reasons you all state.
There would have been a lot of both new learning and unlearning. I then went
on BAUK and actually had to look at UBC as it then was in a lot of detail. I
initially came at it with all that schepticism left over from the 80s, but
realised I could read it with very little time and effort required to learn
new symbols as most UEB ones are based on something we already know. For
instance, the ones for brackets of all kinds are based on dots 126 and 345,
which we already use for brackets in maths, and so on.  I'm no longer on
BAUK, otherwise I wouldn't comment in such detail as I would need to appear
to be objective, but as I'm not on BAUK I shall put the case for UEB when I
can as I really do see a lot of benefits to it.

Cheers
Dave