[access-uk] Re: Does the digital age spell the end of Braille? - News - Gadgets and Tech - The Independent

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 13:48:25 +0000

Hello Norman,

I remember studying at Enbridge Place, whilst my brother, 20 years younger was
at primary school age. I rang the headmistress to arrange to visit him at a
weekend. I asked whether I could bring something to help with his learning,
such as a Braille book, as I was passing the RNIB shop en route. She was
horrified: "Braille? You don't teach a blind child of seven to read Braille!
They're not ready!". I told her I started learning at five and was studying to
be a computer programmer, and asked her where was her evidence that no child
would be ready to learn it at my brother's age? She reacted rather like a
rabbit in the headlights."

Best,
Clive

Clive Lever