[access-uk] Re: Does the digital age spell the end of Braille? - News - Gadgets and Tech - The Independent

  • From: <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:34:34 +0100

I'm a braille reader myself, but I certainly read less and less of it.
However, call me boring, but for me personally as much as I love e-books and
audio books, there is nothing better for me than sitting down and reading a
book the old fassion braille way.

I am aware that because of the way today's technology is going there is less
and less demand for braille. In the same way, I think as long as there are
blind people there will still be demand for it. For starters, as already
mentioned in this thread, dath/blind people will need it to access any
device. Many people still prefer to use braille display, whether they be
bigger displays hooked to a computer, or smaller devices connected to
phones/tablets. Also as already mentioned, there are projects like Bristol
Braille. There is also a company in India, I believe, that is trying to
organise an open source made braille device. It was a while ago I have read
about this and unfortunately have lost a link to it. The main threat I think
is if braille is not taught to the future generation. Of course the second
threat is that manufactorers do not keep up with technology development.
However, I think braille is here to stay for a long long time, perhaps not
in the same form, but it will be here. We just need to make sure that we
still try to convince the futer generations that though speech is great, it
is still important to know braille too. I think education is a key point
here. Some aspect of blind community educators think that as long as one can
access information it's not so important how it's done. I believe there
needs to be a balance of people being taught how to use all this new
technology, but also to still be taught the basics of braille. After all,
surely it's a lot easier to become a better speller by reading braille than
just by listening. Despite of all the new technology I have access to, I'm
very very glad I know braille.

So, though there is a danger of it slowly diminishing, as long as products
are being developed and prices come down, it's here to stay. At least I hope
so.