[access-uk] Re: Does the digital age spell the end of Braille? - News - Gadgets and Tech - The Independent

  • From: "Norman Waddington" <normanwaddington504@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 14:07:08 +0100

Jackie,

One of the problems is the fact that if something is not used it is not used
Braille Shorthand being a good example.  I can read it and write it and I am
prepared to teach it.  People tell me there is no demand these days for
Braille shorthand.  Once I have gone the skill will be lost if it is not
passed on to others to keep it going point made?

Another point is the fact that authorities decide when Braille should be
introduced to kids at school.  Surely the sooner the better.  If we get
power cuts what will they do then?  No analog skills are being taught as far
as I can see to a greater or lesser extent!

Norman.