[access-uk] Re: Chancing the cards?

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:14:35 -0000

Hi Alan.

That isn’t the point.  Firstly, playing games with someone face to face rather
than using a flaming computer is my aim here, but more importantly its
precisely this kind of over pricing for braille that puts many blind people off
learning it.  We hear on a regular basis on programs like in touch and through
the RNIB themselves that children aren’t learning and or using braille because
of the cost of equipment and brailed products and for other reasons, so RNIB
should be setting the standard here and setting examples.  By doubling in price
the cost of their brailed playing cards, they’re discriminating not only
against those who need braille and cant use large print, but at large putting
off the vast numbers of blind individuals who want to learn braille but who
might not want to rely on it because of the cost of braille equipment and items.

All the best, Ibrahim.