[access-uk] Re: Chancing the cards?

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:06:36 -0000

Hi Mike.

I have a set of playing cards which must be 15 years old or more, I’ve had them
since I was a child and used them regularly.  The cards come in a sturdy
cardboard box and the braille dots though very faint on some of them are still
quite legible.  If RNIB are putting braille cards in a tin to protect the dots
and they think this is an acceptable reason to charge over double what the
print cards sell for, they’re clearly desperate to add value to these to
justify the price.  The packaging makes little or no difference to the cards
since if you use them on a regular basis the dots will become flattened and
fainter over time anyway, a tin isn’t going to make the slightest difference to
that.  If RNIB were to sell a set of plastic like cards which were robust and
sturdy instead of the flimsy cardboard ones they sell, then I could perhaps
justify spending that on a set.  As you say though, I’m probably going to have
to buy a decent set myself and have them brailed with sighted assistance.

All the best, Ibrahim.