[access-uk] Re: Anyone on this list using a Mac with Tiger?

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:49:37 +0100

The success of VoiceOver will be in it's future long term development not
necessarily in it's present state as it is now.  It will take money and time
to keep this project going forward so VoiceOver will have to be more than a
section 508 buster.  It is useable, though I think this aspect needs
improving before you get levels of instinctive interaction that you would
get with may of the Windows screen readers (all of which have had many more
development hours in them).  A culture of accessibility would have to exist
in the Mac domain in a way that it doesn't just at the moment.

People may feel the Main Menu article was good, but it didn't even scratch
the surface, what about using Finder with VoiceOver.  One of the main issues
which Ray mentioned in a post was the eschewing of keyboard navigation,
which means using VoiceOver with anything serious is quite unlike that of
Windows.  On Mac a lot more things are not available via "Keyboard focus" as
VoiceOver likes to call it (Jaws equivolent of PC cursor), like being able
to tab to something in a window, instead you need to use the VoiceOver focus
which can travel anywhere and then you can interact with that item.  When
you use Finder you start to get some kind of flavour for what screen reading
with VoiceOver is like.  It's not only very different to what you learn in
Windows but also occassionally has areas that really can trip you up.  You
can find yourself drifting out of windows that you were using cursor keys in
to end up in the one to the right if you happen to press a right arrow.
Then try navigating back to your sidebar where you can quickly select
different aspects of your Mac.  I found this difficultm and imagine others
will find it really quite frustrating at first.

Perhaps Windows users see a rosy garden over the fence, but having brought a
Mac I brought one of the few Mac orientated magazines to see how the other
half live.  One story in this months issue was about a Mac OS update for the
64bit systems which disabled hundreds of software titles on users machines.
Many software support lines were besuiged by users whose software simply
stopped working after the Apple update.  Some software dvelopers producing
temporary patches that disabled 64bit until a solution could be found for
the problem.  In another part of this mag was a featured user letter which
essentially suggested that the kind of things the Mac used to do well with
Fonts for DTP type tasks was now compromised by the new Mac OS X operating
system and that too much attention being paid to gimmicks in OS 10.4 that
took away from improving it for ordinary tasks.

I hope this may give some insight into the Mac world for those interested in
the thread and give it a bit of richness in debate.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

From: "Mark Matthews"

Not only this, but there wouldn't be the worry of keeping up with an SMA. As
I understand it, updates to the Voiceover software would be part of the OS
update, which stands to reason I guess.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Matthews

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Andrew Hodgson

Hi all,

I will be buying (probably) a Mac Mini in the coming days and really do look
forward to trying it out.