[56raf_firebirds] Re: Benchmarking, was Drivers for VR

  • From: 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 21:55:21 +0100

Hi Klem , does fpsVR allow saving to a log file?
I'm using MSI Afterburner, but half the battle is figuring out what the real meaning of the quantities is!

Incidentally, the Pimax situation may be somewhat dissimilar to the Reverb , Quest or Index because these tend to have pin-cushion-like projection to make the view round. That means centre resolution is high and higher than the native pixel count would imply for flat projection.

56RAF_phoenix

On 06/04/2021 03:33, klem56 (Redacted sender klem56 for DMARC) wrote:

phoenix,

if your HMD uses SteamVR get fpsVR, it displays in the HMD the GPU & CPU usage, their Temps, VRAM and RAM usage, instantaneous fps and average fps.

I've been experimenting with Pixel Density in DCS (don't know if here's an equivalen in IL-2) and the SteamVR 'per game' SS. It may not be relevant to IL-2 but I cut DCS PD to 0.5 and run  SteamVR SS at around 360% which gives me best clarity for best fps (around 68 to 72fps which my Pimax HMD is set to). With PD at 1.0 and SteamVR SS at 100% my GPU runs around 60% and struggles to achieve 50fps but with 0.5/360% it's using around 90% GPU at 72 fps. CPU is always around 20%.

klem
http://56punjabvirtualsquad.boards.net/

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo
i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling
Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU
32Gb DDR4 RAM
1Tb, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB storage
Pimax 8k Plus VR
TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base
Windows 10 Home 64bit
On 05/04/2021 22:17, 56RAF_phoenix wrote:
I've finally just begun collecting data to try and optimise my rig for il2.
So far, I've been dialing down the "resolution" below the 100% that I believe gives native resolution /at the centre of the field of view,/ and dialing up FXAA to get better apparent sharpness further out from the centre and increased framerates with my G2. But it's been a seat-of-the-pants operation, rather than systematic.

I've flashed my BIOS ready for BAR, currently running the 457.51 NVidia GPU driver and I'll try the 457.30 and the latest with BAR.

I've just started collecting numbers using SYN_Vander's benchmark. I'm not at all sure it's representative of a multiplayer workload.

The really, really, shocking thing is how little the 3080 GPU is being used. I've yet to figure out how to log CPU usage of il2 at the same time, there are temperatures galore, but not much else. I'm beginning to strongly suspect that the real dips in framerate are when new objects come into the field of view and the CPU has to shovel data at the GPU. So BAR may help.

Watch this space.

56RAF_phoenix

On 01/04/2021 09:20, Colin (Redacted sender bart_56 for DMARC) wrote:
Defiantly seems smoother using this driver :).

BAR has been enabled in the latest nvidia driver, might need a bios update on your motherboard/gpu.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/ <https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/>

Interesting to see if that improves speeds.

Bart