[56raf_firebirds] Benchmarking, was Drivers for VR

  • From: 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 22:17:51 +0100

I've finally just begun collecting data to try and optimise my rig for il2.
So far, I've been dialing down the "resolution" below the 100% that I believe gives native resolution /at the centre of the field of view,/ and dialing up FXAA to get better apparent sharpness further out from the centre and increased framerates with my G2. But it's been a seat-of-the-pants operation, rather than systematic.

I've flashed my BIOS ready for BAR, currently running the 457.51 NVidia GPU driver and I'll try the 457.30 and the latest with BAR.

I've just started collecting numbers using SYN_Vander's benchmark. I'm not at all sure it's representative of a multiplayer workload.

The really, really, shocking thing is how little the 3080 GPU is being used. I've yet to figure out how to log CPU usage of il2 at the same time, there are temperatures galore, but not much else. I'm beginning to strongly suspect that the real dips in framerate are when new objects come into the field of view and the CPU has to shovel data at the GPU. So BAR may help.

Watch this space.

56RAF_phoenix

On 01/04/2021 09:20, Colin (Redacted sender bart_56 for DMARC) wrote:

Defiantly seems smoother using this driver :).

BAR has been enabled in the latest nvidia driver, might need a bios update on your motherboard/gpu.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/ <https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/>

Interesting to see if that improves speeds.

Bart