[24hoursupport] Re: modem question

  • From: Joe Parker <joe.parker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:15:49 -0400

>BTW, broadband -- cable, at least -- is actually quite poor for online
>gaming because of the latency factor (at least, I think that's the reason
>given).

You're thinking of satellite-based broadband. It can download very quickly,
but the latency is poor. Cable and DSL don't have this problem. Or
shouldn't; you may have something set wrong if you can't ping some servers
at <50ms.

I guess we'll have to just disagree on winmodems. Not long ago I refused to
consider them at all - and still wouldn't for gaming - but the price
difference is so great and any performance hit unnoticeable on average
office machines, that I've been installing them for a couple years now. No
complaints, and I honestly can't perceive any hit.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at