[24hoursupport] Re: modem question

  • From: "Ray" <ray2047@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:03:12 -0500

The last time I read a Linux site about modems it was my understanding that
a serial port was  too slow to support a soft modem therefore an external
modem that used a serial port almost certainly was a hard modem.

The article went on to say a USB modem in some cases might be a soft modem.
The article didn't say but I assume it was the increased speed of USB. I'd
guess if that's true USB2 and Firewire could be either.

I have read how to articles on setting up a soft modem for Linux and like
most Linux how-to's I have read they seem to start in the middle. Never tell
you how you get the file in the editor or how you actually use the editor or
how you actually do the things they tell you to do. You spend days doing
searches on terms like "comment out" but never find something that tells you
how to actually do it. OK sorry for the rant  <G>  but that's why I think a
hard modem is just easier to use. Plug it in and it works.

I have also noticed that cheap computers that come with Linux usually have
just an Ethernet card, no dialup modem but cheap computers with Windows
usually have a dialup modem. Again pure guessing but I always figured that
was because it was harder and/or more expensive to put a dialup modem in a
Linux machine.

P.S. I am not anti-Linux. I like Linux ....well maybe not Slackware but
Caldera, Redhat, and Mandrake are good. <G>