[24hoursupport] Re: modem question

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:48:52 -0500

>Looks like winmodems have become so popular now they have to give fancy
>names to regular modems to sell them. Or all the gamers have broadband
now.

>The cheaper modem should work just fine - it uses your CPU to do some of
>it's work, but you shouldn't notice on a modern computer. Only real
>exception I can think of would be if you're going to use it for online
>gaming.

I would suggest NOT getting a winmodem, even for a faster, modern computer.
A winmodem still unloads all of it's processing off on the CPU, resulting
in slower performance plus dragging down any other programs you may want to
be running at the same time. Unless money is truly the defining issue, and
the only other option is to do without, then I suggest spending the extra
money and getting a true hardware modem.

On the other hand, I'm a bit of a performance nut so maybe my bias in that
direction is showing.

BTW, broadband -- cable, at least -- is actually quite poor for online
gaming because of the latency factor (at least, I think that's the reason
given). It's very fast for general use, but not fast at all in the specific
way that online gaming requires. I've been told, and my brief
experimentation seems to confirm, that you get a better online game from a
good dial-up connection than you do on a cable modem. I don't know about
DSL though.

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at