[24hoursupport] Re: modem question

  • From: Fuzzy Logic <fuzzman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:36:28 -0400 (EDT)

The difference between a regular modem and a Winmodem is usually in the
drivers.  Winmodems can be internal or external, just like a regular
modem.  They can also be hard or soft modems (hard modems have all the
processing hardware, soft modems don't).  Basically, you're best bet is to
buy a modem that is neither a soft modem, nor a winmodem.  Internal or
external is up to you.  Both work equally well.

You might try looking into the Linmodems project (http://linmodems.org)
They've had remarkable luck creating drivers for various Winmodems.

Fuzzy
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Uncle Richard wrote:

> "You do realize that winmodems come in external models, too, right?"
>
> No, not to my lnowledge in this part of the world. Tell me more please.
>
> "Only the cheaper brands fail to work with Linux.  "
>
> My experience has been different, but the LINUX people are coming up
> with drivers for all sorts of modems and many savvy modem makers are
> peovidinf LINUX drivers.
>
> Richard Innes
> Auckland New Zealand
> unclerichard@xxxxxxxxxxxx