[24hoursupport] Re: Strange Hard Drive Problem

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:19:35 -0800

Hi Ron,
Try the MaxBlastII utility it has been known to sove some problems;
MaxBlast Plus II
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast_plus_ii.htm
Features

One step installation and setup

Easy to use, Graphical Interface (GUI) with mouse and printer support

Allows up to four IDE devices in the same system

EZ-Copy lets you make an exact duplicate of your existing hard drive

Breaks the capacity barriers of 528MB, 2.1GB, 4.2GB, 8.4, 32 & 64GB

Fast ATA and Enhanced IDE compatible

Windows 95, 95B, 98, Me, NT 4.0, Win 2K, and Windows XP

Creates a bootable floppy diskette

There must be at least one Maxtor Hard Disk Drive installed in the system
for MaxBlast Plus II to run

If you are trying to setup a new drive and it cannot be not found by
MaxBlast Plus II, you will be directed to a troubleshooting

Installation Walkthrough (Tutorial) allows you to view the installation
process before physically installing your Maxtor hard drive

MaxBlast Plus II allows a printable version of the installation process
after viewing the Installation Walkthrough tutorial (Printer Required)
 ++ There is more on the web site.

Seasons Greetings ~ My Christmas card
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikesxmas_2002.htm

See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

On 21/12/2002 at 5:07 PM Ron Allen wrote:

Hello All,

I am trying to fix up a computer I no longer use to give to my very
young niece and nephew as a Christmas gift.

P3 550MHz
Abit Be-6II mainboard, Award BIOS, 6/21/2000 I44BX-W977-6A69-KA19C-SH
256Mb SDRAM
Maxtor 91531U3 15Gb Hard Drive

When I go into the BIOS setup, it reports the correct size of the hard
 drive. When I fdisk the drive and try to format it, it is formatted as
 2.1Gb. Yes, I have enabled large drive support in fdisk. Partition Magic
 8.0 also sees it as a 2.1Gb drive when I try to fix the drive using PM
 rescue disks. I have replaced the mainboard battery, so that isn't it. I'm
 at a loss. The BIOS reports the correct 15.x Gb drive size from the setup
 screen, but does not report it correctly after exiting setup to the
 system.

What am I missing folks?

Thanks,

Ron