[24hoursupport] Strange Hard Drive Problem

  • From: "Ron Allen" <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:07:01 -0600

Hello All,

I am trying to fix up a computer I no longer use to give to my very young=
 niece and nephew as a Christmas gift.

P3 550MHz
Abit Be-6II mainboard, Award BIOS, 6/21/2000 I44BX-W977-6A69-KA19C-SH
256Mb SDRAM
Maxtor 91531U3 15Gb Hard Drive

When I go into the BIOS setup, it reports the correct size of the hard=
 drive. When I fdisk the drive and try to format it, it is formatted as=
 2.1Gb. Yes, I have enabled large drive support in fdisk. Partition Magic=
 8.0 also sees it as a 2.1Gb drive when I try to fix the drive using PM=
 rescue disks. I have replaced the mainboard battery, so that isn't it. I'm=
 at a loss. The BIOS reports the correct 15.x Gb drive size from the setup=
 screen, but does not report it correctly after exiting setup to the=
 system.

What am I missing folks?

Thanks,

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at