[24hoursupport] Re: Info

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Barry Cornford <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:08:28 -0600

BC> A:    The earlier Versions of XP Home & Pro were not bootable CD's.
BC> This is why you need the 6 boot 3 1/2 floppy disks.
BC> And it is a pain in the rear and slow to do installs via the disks.
BC> I would be very handy to have them all on one CD and quicker, I am not sure
if it can even be done.

Hi Barry,

I don't know for sure if it can be done or not, but I'm not going to
give up without trying :)

I understand that Nero has a feature that allows complete control over
making bootable CDs. I also have briefly examined a couple of the disks, and
they don't look like anything extraordinary to me offhand. Seems to me
it might be as simple as copying the disks exactly as they are into a
directory, setting up Nero to make a bootable CD after carefully
examining the options and adjusting the settings, and then burn the
files to the CD.

One potential stumbling block: the Nero manual states that the reason
you can not make a bootable CD for Windows is because the installation
process has to write to the disk, something that, obviously, can't be
done to a standard CD. If that is true, then it may not be able to be
made to work. I have a few ideas about that too, though.

I won't be able to get to this until the weekend, most likely. I work
full-time and go to school too, and time is at a premium for me. You
might want to remind me again toward the end of the week, if you want
to :)

Ron