[24hoursupport] Re: Info

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 10:24:13 -0800

Hi Ron,
I don't know of any other use for the disk, they are intended as an
altenative boot method.
To get you to the point of having a working CD if I understand them
correctly.

MS released them after XP had been released,
I don't think they show up as an option during the instalation of XP.

Mike moderator 24hoursupport
mike@xxxxxxxxx

On 02/03/2003 at 12:15 PM Ron Allen wrote:

M> The Setup boot disks are available so that you can run Setup on computers
M> that do not support a bootable CD-ROM.

M> If your computer does support booting from a CD-ROM, or if network-based
M> installation is available, Microsoft recommends that you use those
M> installations methods instead.

M> Future products will no longer support installation via the setup boot
M> disks.

Sounds like these disks are not necessary _except_ during the
installation process, and only then when you have an older/cheaper
CD-ROM drive that is incapable of being the boot device.

Do these disks have any diagnostic value later?