Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

  • From: Russell Urquhart <russurquhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:07:57 -0500

Hi Robert & everyone,

I like everyone here have great respect for your Robert, and everything you
bring to the xy community, and as i understand thoughts about OS X, etc, i must
respectfully disagree.

We can carry this discussion offline, if you think it would be worthwhile, but,
imo, i think that OS X is a very good environment for Unix or novice users.
I've used several versions of Unix on several workstations in my time, and i
think that OS X is the first where someone could work extensively in the GUI
and never know that they are running a Unix OS.

I currently use mutt as my mail client and midnight commander as my file
manager. I also use vim and am also investigating using Context as my text
processing/layout program. All of these programs exist first and foremost as
Unix programs. (Mutt and midnight commander i install and make(compile to my
machine. So I'm a little techie.)

For the people that complain about Apple, and there are many, my simple
response is don't use their products. That's what we do in a free market,
right? If you want to use them, but don't like the price, do what i do, buy
last years model on ebay! Still works, etc.

I even don't dissuade people from installing OS X on non-Apple hardware. I
think that's kind of cool and have thought about doing it myself. HOWEVER, i
think if you are a true supporter of open source, to me that implies you
support the open source licensing agreement(s). If you support those licensing
agreements, or any other software's licensing agreements, then i think you
should also at least recognize Apple's licensing agreements which don't support
the running of the OS on non-Apple hardware. But that's just my opinion.

As far as thumbing your nose at a company, and i can understand that, why don't
you thumb your nose and direct some rage at the owner of the source code to
Xywrite? Why don't you let that source be distributed, and let that get into
the open source community, and see what some dedicated programmers can do to
bring it to Linux/Unix without having to deal with Windows, Apple or any other
proprietary OS?

fwiw,

Russ