Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

  • From: Flash <flash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 19:44:57 +0100

Harry,

<<Please indulge me, I think this has been answered before, but if I reserve C: for the OS, and install all programs on D:, does that mean that when I have to re-format C: and re-install the factory version of the OS, that I won't have to re-install and re-customize my programs? Sounds too good to be true. Don't those programs depend on the Registry, which is on C:?>>

Yes, it is too good to be true. Before the C:lean sweep, you must backup your registry file, which contains all the references to the programs installed on D:. After you do the C:lean sweep, you copy the old registry file onto C:. This supposes that you have a clean registry file to begin with. If the main reason you are doing a clean sweep on C: is that you have corrupted registry entries, then backing up and copying your old registry file to the newly installed C: partition is wasted effort. You might as well re-install all your old programs, too.

<MD FL>