Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

  • From: "Kari Eveli" <lexitec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "XyList" <xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:04:05 +0200

>I had TrueImage 10, and
basically liked it although you could not extract individual
files to the specified directory -- it always put them at the
specified location in a "Drive(X)" directory, and then recreated
the directory tree there instead of where you directed the files
to go.

TrueImage has its limitations (I have version 11 with free update from the
Acronis site). The restore option is usable and reliable for entire disks
and/or partitions. For individual files I have used the following: mount the
disk image, and copy the file normally. The mounted disk image is just like
another disk drive. It is a snapshot of your disk at a certain date. You can
browse back in history and pick what you need. TrueImage backs up everything:
Windows, Linux, and the disk structure. When used the right way, it has proved
to be very reliable.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 is very useful, too. The partitioning works
well, but Acronis OS Selector is unusable. I have Windows XP, Win2K and Linux
on my machine. To get them to boot properly I have used Super Grub
(http://www.supergrubdisk.org/), which is Linux freeware. It even fixes
unbootable Windows installations. Acronis OS Selector is to be avoided. Causes
unpredictable behavior and is potentially unrecoverable. Acronis advanced
partition hiding can be tricky, too. If you are running plain Windows, you do
not need these advanced techniques. If you need them (multiple Windows versions
and/or Linux), use Super Grub.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)