Re: OT--Win7 and disk partitions

  • From: Raphael Tennenbaum <rtennenbaum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:23:29 -0400

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> (You can't keep a command line guy down!  Not
> after 40 years.  Only one of my Linux boxes even has X
> installed.)

when I first started messing with Linux a good deal of GUI things worked poorly or not at all, especially Flash, but these days I haven't seen any websites the Linux browsers can't handle. I never really warmed to KDE, but gnome under Ubuntu is quite pleasing-looking and bug-free.

at this point I essentially only use the XP box for gathering RSS feeds for my (obsolete) Treo smartphone, and photo editing -- because I like the Nikon tools, plus the external drives and card reader are on the other side of my office & I can't be bothered moving them.

> and peer at the unprotected code.  Whereas in Linux, security is
> at the core, and everything is built on top of that.  The right
> way, if you want to be really secure.  But it's still a
> PITA/hindrance.)

it is, but I've found it gets to be second nature, almost like saying a little prayer before perfoming certain tasks. small price to pay for the ease of recovering from a disaster with a simple reinstall, not to mention the very real immunity from such disasters.

having got over the learning curve, I'm quite enjoying it. that curve is certainly steep, it took me several months two of bumbling and trial and error to get used to this way of doing things, but I'll never look back. and you sure can't beat the price. free apps, free OS, that work on generic hardware? it's enough to make a person sound smug.

-rafe t.