[Wittrs] On Discussions about Free WIll

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

... forwarding this.
SW

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Charlie Leach (whatmusic) <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: CHORA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 2:52:03 PM
Subject: Re: On Discussions about Free WIll
Sean,

The idea that we don't have free will is probably the most powerful     and
pernicious philosophical theory known, and has caused untold     damage in
society today. It continues to do so.

It may seem like just a mathematical puzzle to cerebral philosophers     immune
to their own memes, but out in the world the damage is     immense. I recommend
this 1996 article by Tom Wolfe:
http://orthodoxytoday.org/articles/Wolfe-Sorry-But-Your-Soul-Just-Died.php

Here's a quote referring to the idea of determinism cloaked in     neuroscience:

"The elders, such as Wilson himself and Daniel C.       Dennett, the author of
Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the       Meanings of Life, and Richard
Dawkins, author of The Selfish Gene       and The Blind Watchmaker, insist that
there is nothing to fear       from the truth, from the ultimate extension of
Darwin's dangerous       idea. They present elegant arguments as to why
neuroscience should       in no way diminish the richness of life, the magic of
art, or the       righteousness of political causes, including, if one need
edit,       political correctness at Harvard or Tufts, where Dennett is
Director of the Center for Cognitive Studies, or Oxford, where       Dawkins is
something called Professor of Public Understanding of       Science. (Dennett
and Dawkins, every bit as much as Wilson, are       earnestly, feverishly,
politically correct.) Despite their best       efforts, however, neuroscience
is
not rippling out into the public       on waves of scholarly reassurance. But
rippling out it is,       rapidly. The conclusion people out beyond the
laboratory walls are       drawing is: The fix is in! We're all hardwired!
That,
and: Don't       blame me! I'm wired wrong!"

If you take time out in the slums of inner city life, you can see     that idea
that we cannot be blamed for anything taking hold like     wildfire. Beat up my
wife? steal a car? knife someone? can't get a     job? Don't blame me I'm just
wired that way. The learned judges all     point to the learned philosophers
with their determinism and     pronounce the vexatious criminal correct. The
word soon gets out.

Pretty soon 'being hardwired' into poverty and hopelessness becomes     a badge
of honour. Kids intimidate and bully with slogans such as     "intelligent is
stupid" (T Dalyrimple: "Life at the Bottom") and     settle into a prison as
strong as any yet invented by the mind of     man: where you believe there is
no
hope for you and therefore never     try. This attitude is probably the biggest
contributor to the     accelerating growth in the underclass in Britain today.

You might say: "it's not my fault the average man can't tell the     difference
between determinism and fatalism, I'm all right Jack, I     understand the
difference and will enjoy my freedom and leave the     dumb masses to their
predestined end. I'm right about my idea and     that's all the matters, the
world be damned."

But what if you're not right? what if there is free will, what if     man is
free and philosophy just got caught in a stagnant eddy of     incoherent
thought
(you've seen it happen). What then of all the     people listening at the doors
of the ivory towers for 'the truth'     handed out with scholarly authority:
hordes of judges, liberals,     do-gooders, and the guilt ridden politically
correct, eager     disciples of this message that we can't blame anyone, trying
to help     out by spreading the word, but succeeding in nothing more than
turning the underclass into a ghetto imprisoned by an idea.

Of course you have to defend what is right and what you believe in     with
intellectual honesty, but this debate on free will is not a     mere
intellectual game, played frivolously by intellectuals in an     ivory tower
without consequences. The world is listening, and the     winners of the free
will debate will determine the wholesale shift     of modern culture towards
responsibility or nihilism. It's a very     real problem and the stakes could
hardly be higher.

Charlie