[Wittrs] On Discussions about Free WIll

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 08:06:47 -0700 (PDT)

... forwarding this manually.

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: steve bayne <baynesrb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: On Discussions about Free WIll

This is an excellent comment, Sean! As philosophy becomes more technical and
concomitantly more papers become what you might call "routine" some kind of
test
must be applied by the individual researcher in deciding which direction to
"travel."

Somewhere in the Tractatus, Wittgenstein performs the thought experiment of
denying self identity. Nothing "happens." When in the course of facing yet
another thirty pages of technical analytical philosophy one has to make the
decision whether, or not, to wade through it, this sort of test, at least,
should be made. In my own work, I ask: "Suppose this author is right; suppose
he
is wrong; so what?" Once I've assessed the magnitude and relevance of his
claims, I make the decision.

Although free-will and the mind-body problem are significant philosophical
issues, a survey of the history of western philosophy will reveal, I believe,
that these issues are not of the same order of magnitude as other problems,
e.g., substance, causation (generally), universals, mathematical truth, etc.
Where is the mind-body problem in Hume? Leibniz? Where is determinism an issue
is Aristotle or Locke? The are marginal in relation to the larger picture. As
philosophy became "analytical" in the nonlinguistic sense encouraged by the
work
of Einstein and Plank those philosophical issues pertinent to science took
hold.
The philosophy of mind has been, more or less, reduced to that of the mind body
problem, just to take one prominent example.

The point you make, as I understand it, is particularly relevant to those who
care to engage "first philosophy" and not the "philosophies of" (of science, of
mind, of mathematics, of history, of business, of language etc.); that is,
areas
not requiring a great deal of literacy in the language of the tradition. This
is
not, merely, a matter of our having moved on to "better" things and better
ideas. It is a matter of education in the field of philosophy, as such.

If a thinker is willing to commit to the belief that philosophy is a legitimate
area of research, then whenever issues are raised related to these
"philosophies
of" they should be "tested" for relevance. In my own case if I say to myself:
"the mind is the body"; and then, "the mind is not the body", in neither case
does much "happen." Often philosophers of a scientific disposition attack
problems more related to abandoned theologies than deeply rooted philosophical
concerns, as such.

Regards

Steve R. Bayne
www.hist-analytic.org